Other referral pathways
Some of our services and clinics accept referrals from non-GP referrers, teaching professionals, or parents or guardians. Some services accept paper referrals for clinically urgent cases only.
To make a referral, please:
- write to us at North West Thames Regional Genetics Service, Level 8V, Northwick Park and St Mark’s Hospitals, Watford Road, Harrow HA1 3UJ
- email our team
- call us on 0208 869 2795.
Urgent referrals should be emailed to us and clearly marked as urgent.
Your referral must include your patient's:
- full name
- date of birth
- NHS number
- GP details
- reason for being referred to the genetics clinic.
Please include as much information as possible about the specific condition or suspected condition in the family. Sometimes another family member of your patient might have a confirmed genetic diagnosis. If this is the case, please include the following wherever possible:
- a specific diagnosis
- relevant test reports
- the exact biological relationship between the affected individual and the person being referred eg half-sister (same mother).
Referrals for women who are pregnant
If you are referring a woman who is pregnant, please:
- consider using the Urgent Prenatal Query referral form
- include copies of relevant scan reports.
Referrals for Tay Sachs Carrier screening
Useful information for professionals
- The Genomics Education Programme provides free information, education and training resources for NHS staff, and includes several online courses, resources and factsheets.
- British Society for Genetic Medicine (BSGM)
- Association for Genetic Nurses and Counsellors (AGNC)
- The North West Thames Regional Genetics laboratories are part of the UK Genetic Testing Network (UKGTN).